Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorShoshin
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2017

Evening all, I am a new guy and my first post here.

I have put together a very nice set up and NL2 works fantastic, but many of my friends can't handle the motion sickness - which they do not get in say Live for speed or other VR titles.

Having checked around this is fairly normal, with roller coaster simulation in VR, even with motion platforms.

The frame rate does drop at times, but this is not todo with my PC specs, it's clearly from the software i.e it goes from 90fps (what you need with Vive VR) to say 40/50fps for short times, then back to 90fps several times through most of the coasters.

Really I am just after performance tips to help me get a stable 90fps across all the standard coasters - or perhaps suggestions on any community coasters that perform really well re consistent fps.

Many thanks for any help or advice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017

One thing to keep in mind is that not all coasters out there for download (or even the included ones) have been built with 90+ FPS in mind. That said, which parks have you been experiencing frame rate drops on, and what are your computer specs for reference?

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorShoshin

Yes understood - i'm running just the parks that come with NL2. Sorry I cant reference them all but Forrest Park is the main one i recall the drops on.

Re rigs I run off 2 pretty powerful rigs,

System 1- mATX desktop
    i7 4790k at 4.8Ghz, no HT. 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX 1070

System 2 - laptop
    i7 7700k at 4.5Ghz, HT on, 32GB RAM, M.2 SSD, GTX 1080

Currently running everything medium in game, all effects off to try and get the raw performance and then go up from there.

Just knowing parks that run really ell would be a great start, and save me a whole bunch of time finding them etc.
    Make a new park... You have made yourself the best performance wise park. :D
    • CommentAuthorShoshin

Sorry no time, experience, skill or desire to make my own park's yet. I am sure I will but for now I just need less people to get less sick etc.
    ^ I mean an empty park. It gives the best performance. Its not to difficult to make a new empty park. Or you want a park with only a little coaster in it? I can just throw somthing together if you want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2017 edited

For coasters that don't lag too hard, I recommend looking for some that rely more on the actual coaster than scenery. Great coasters you could use would be any design by Projektion. They use almost no scenery at all (aside for trees) and ran fantastic on my build with a DK2 in the past.

You can see a lot of his rides by looking in most subscribed category in the workshop.

EDIT: Should include that any lag you get in the game is on the half of the creator of that project. A lot of times people don't take optimization into consideration, when it's actually really important when it comes to finalizing and professionalizing a project.
    NL2 Is not optimised for VR really. Not really a fault on the dev's, its just because developing for VR requires a lot more optimisation that NL2 can offer. I guarantee that very little coasters will run at 90fps constantly, It just wont. Ways you can bring the FPS up is messing around with the settings. My recommended setup is as follows:

https://gyazo.com/bbc64a767f6fc1d8ae7f8dddbd9c2f76

I only have a GTX 980, so I usually turn anti aliasing off too, but maybe your systems can run it better than I do
    • CommentAuthorShoshin

ah right thanks for the pointers all very helpful.

I shall check out Projektion designs and in game settings. from memory I am running at 1.5 super sampling as well, so that can come down to help the cause.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

One thing I noticed when I tested NL2 with an Oculus and a motion seat is that you definitely want the Oculus to track your head motion RELATIVE to the seat. That means if you haven't already done so, make sure that the sensors that track your head position are attached to your seat and not static in the room. Otherwise the Oculus will think every motion of the seat is a motion of your head and will rotate your in game camera ON TOP of the seat motion you're experiencing and the twists and turns the coaster performs. That way it greatly overemphasizes every banking or angle change in the track making it so much more dizzying. It shows you head rotations that you didn't perform, thus confusing your brain.

I hope it's possible to understand what I'm trying to say :D
    • CommentAuthorShoshin

Yes it is and thank you Zampano, I hadn't thought of that yet. The vibration may cause issues mind with the Vive lighthouse tracking, this is one area where Oculus does score better apparently.

it looks like a very complex area, and to be honest may be to much to physically install into the rig for now, but it's an area I can look into.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017

Try to run Jamp Up Land!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Posted By: COASTERGUY246NL2 Is not optimised for VR really. ... I guarantee that very little coasters will run at 90fps constantly, It just wont.

It's not? News to us and the months of effort we spent optimizing it for better VR performance. Every engine generated asset and included model contains multiple LODs and tons of optimizations to run as smoothly as possible.

A more accurate statement is that the 1 square mile of build space is so big and the the area so open that users build what they want and do not care to optimize what they build to always run 90+ fps. Doesn't mean that NL2 isn't optimized. It means that we can't possibly optimize everything the user can do. We've given you the tools to optimize all of the custom work you make. It's up to you to use it...we can't force you to make LODs of your models, or build them efficiently, or create efficient scripts, or prevent you from building 40 mile long coasters (Togo). You get what you build, and you could build high performing coasters perfect for VR if you wanted to.

So, rather than the negative, how about recommending coasters that DO run well in VR to help him out? Recommending settings is a good start, now point in the right direction for a good experience. How about Wilderness Park, Peninsula Park, or Fenrir of the included parks? Any other recommendations?

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorShoshin

ah right Ride_Op I shall focus on Wilderness Park, Peninsula Park, or Fenrir etc and get back to you on this.

Many thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2017

Runaway Canyon runs really well on my Vive. And it has a lot of scenery.