Not signed in (Sign In)

Site Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hi all, I'm making this update per what happened around an hour ago (i.e., the site's server was broken unbeknownst to the actual owner, Mathew, and from that looks of it still slightly is). Obviously, it's time for a better and more stable community site.

NLC Coming Soon

Okay, so the status so far is relatively the same actually. I'm focusing my efforts now into finishing the forums, moving on to moderation panel, then some other things (notifications and personal messages namely), then I've got to do some security stuff and it will be ready to launch (I'll do some beta testing as well, but probably not too much intensive testing). That is pretty much a birds eye view of what needs to be done.

I don't necessarily want to discuss my personal life on a public forum, but they have been a few things that have set NLC back (around early 2016) and I've honestly taken a couple of needed weeks off from working on it, but I'll soon get back into the routine. Along with that having a full time job also lowers time I have to work on NLC, again though, I'll just be working development on it back into my schedule. The New Official Estimated Launch Date for NLC™ is now Fall of 2017. Each task that is completed makes NLC that much closer to what I'd like to consider "finished", so having a time table of Fall fits very well.

To wrap up, I'd like to thank everyone for their patience on NLC. I realize it did start nearly 3 years ago (although technically the version I am working on now was started from scratch in 2015), but I don't think that's entirely unjustified, seeing the quality that it brings to the NL community, I think it will be well worth the wait.
    I'm definitely excited to share it with you all and I hope you all like it. The features and modern feel to it will surely make it the best coaster site in the community.

https://nolimitscentral.com
    Thanks for investing your time into something we can all use as a community!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017

RWN, just wanted to ask you something about the new forum for NLC.

Will it still feature old skool HTML formatting like on here, or will it feature modern forum features like clicking a button to add an image to a post or adding web links?
    And will it feature an actual private messaging system that lets you know when you have a message when you log in etc, instead of the whispered comment thing on here? But judging from a comment you mentioned above, i have a feeling it will.
    ^ Hi Womp,

The forum will be markdown only - with some extensions. One extension is that the syntax for posting images: ![]() will support youtube videos and gifv / webm links. Another extension is a linkify feature, so if you don't add any markdown to a link you post, it will automatically link to the site (http://link.com becomes http://link.com). There are of course future possibilities that won't make it into the initial release.

NLC will not feature whispering, I honestly hate whispers and how they are implemented on NLE. Instead, NLC will have a private messaging system. The PM feature will be real-time, so when you get a message and you're in the chat, you won't need to refresh. This will be good for the intention of PM's: one-on-one communication with someone else. Sort of like what whispers are for. The PM system is not intended to be a replacement for services like Discord or Skype, however. So if you want to have group chats, use those instead.

NLC will also feature a notification system, which will be real-time as well (when you get a notification, the bell in the navigation will tell you, you can then click on that and view it). You'll get notifications when someone replies to your topic, a topic you follow has new replies, when your park has a new rating, you get a new PM, etc.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2017

Sounds great! I look forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimPerdue
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017

Is there a way to pin sticky this. I was literally just shy of ranting about the broken Forums. 6 weeks to find this out....6!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^^^ Thanks RWN.
    I used to be a member of another forum since way back in 2005, (doesn't work anymore) and that one was rather user friendly. But that used the vBulletin software that a lot of other forums/message boards use these days, and i'm pretty sure you have to pay for that. Cause i know markdown can be confusing for new members, myself included when i first joined here. Coming from something that let you add images, links, smileys or other text formatting with a single click, it was quite different having to suddenly learn to do all that yourself on here. But that linkify feature sounds good though.

I'm with you there, i don't like the whisper thing on here. You have to rely on the other person checking their whispered comments section, or seeing it in the thread you left it in for it to work. And if they don't...
    The forum i used had a PM system that notified you when you had a new message when you'd log in. But it wasn't real-time, if you were already logged in and someone messaged you, you had to refresh the page before you'd see the notification. Glad to hear you're implementing proper PM's for the NLC forum.

And just putting this out there for everyone, the forum i came from, we didn't use this silly circumflex (^, ^^) rule of thumb. We'd quote someone's post no matter what, or how far up the page it was. Even if it was directly above yours. At least then people would know what it was you're commenting on, and didn't have to go looking for clues hahaha.
    Personally, i'd place a limit of using 3 circumflexes to quote someone.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Also, I'd like to be able to enter text on an page which isn't the last one (e.g. posting on page 8 while thread is at page 12).
    If you quote someone from way back, you can't simply quote their text and reply to it. Especially in the more active threads like 2017, it's annoying.
    I'd just abolish the circumflex rule all together. Quoting is much clearer.
    ^^ That is how the forum will work by default.

^^^ Thanks!

The quoting is also poorly implemented on NLE (or, the software it uses), IMO. It doesn't necessarily do anything, it just adds the markdown quote syntax to the comment. There are a couple of options on NLC to make quoting better. One I was thinking about is having a special markdown extension of '@{comment id}', e.g. @102. This could do two things: notify the person who left the comment that someone has replied specifically to theirs, and when hovering over the id, show a preview of the actually comment, clicking on it would go to the comment. I like this idea, as it mixes what I've seen a few forums do into one. As of now, the quote button on NLC simply adds markdown, along with some other stuff to easily go to the comment.

There is also going to be a link below most text fields that will open a dialog of markdown syntax rules. Honestly it isn't that much IMO. Those old school bbedit format bars are pretty bloated. For the most part you're just going to be linking url's, posting an image or video, or maybe doing some formatting like making your text bold or italic. That's only ~5 rules you have to memorize. If people are truly struggling with it I could add some buttons for it.

Here's a short video showing those things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n622Z2F9EZA
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

Posted By: RideWarriorNationIf people are truly struggling with it I could add some buttons for it.

Please do, if it's not too much work.

But I know a lot of people who were reluctant to subscribe in here because the forum was weird and complex to use. It would really help new people to join in, and it's more convenient iin the long run anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3weird and complex to use.

Really, was this a joke? I cannot think of how a forum could be more simplyfied. Here you basically have a text box and posts above you, it is reduced to its essentials, I actually like that. Facebook for example is much more complex in my opinion with the random order of comments that can appear, when you do not enforce the chronological ordering.
    NLE's forum is definitely a different format. I've taken parts I like about it and incorporated them into NLC, but also tried to make a more natural / normal forum experience as well. There's lots of things that make the NLE forum weird too, namely that it is completely separated from the exchange.

^^I'll give it a go soon, since it looks like people would like to have it. HTML's contenteditable spec - which is html's way of incorporating "rich text editing" on the web is TERRIBLE. There's literally no api to it, you have to parse and place everything yourself. Hopefully it will be updated with an api, as pretty much anything you can put text into on websites like twitter or facebook uses it. NLC uses it too, but I think it will just have buttons that will add the markdown for you, no wysiwyg stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

Posted By: RideWarriorNationno wysiwyg stuff

I think a (working :P) preview is enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017 edited

NLE is clean, I for myself really like that. But I mean, it has a different presentation than most of the forums on the web (such as the categories, it's not really clear ; no buttons above the message box, no smileys ; no private messagerie but whisper instead ; and of course the whole HTML thing, etc), and I can tell you that it makes a bunch of people a bit unwilling to subscribe here.

It's complex in its simplicity.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2017

For me thats no problem to stay here. Its very nice to read and post here.