Not signed in (Sign In)

Site Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorVinyworld283
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017 edited

Because of the first curveball that we must have 2 coasters I decided to go for a small themepark called LanticPark :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2017

I love that there's a Lagoon Roll
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017

Just submitted my entry. Good luck everyone.

REMINDER: Submissions are due by MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT!
    Submitted!
    •  
      CommentAuthorXYZcoaster

Vinyworld283, nice Lagoon roll you got there...
    Posted By: XYZcoasterVinyworld283, nice Lagoon roll you got there...

Posted By: ParadoxI love that there's a Lagoon Roll

Thank you! Made the lay out less repetetive xD I wanted to add a double heartline roll but then I thought by myself that I allready had two heartline rolls so the barely used lagoon roll fitted perfectly :D
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017 edited

Got mine in with an hour or so to spare...
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Ah that's dope
    Thank you to everyone who submitted! We are currently looking over the entries and will release scores as soon as possible.

-Meta
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017 edited

Is there target start/stop dates for round 3 given that the initial timeline of Aug 30- Sept 15 is no longer valid? (I ask hoping it matters to me)
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2017

JetPulse and jpaufsc, got names for those?

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

Primary attraction is Pyro. Little shuttle is Spark
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

The Infinity is called Mavro and the Bobsled is called Apalo.
    Posted By: JetPulseIs there target start/stop dates for round 3 given that the initial timeline of Aug 30- Sept 15 is no longer valid? (I ask hoping it matters to me)
    I also wonder when the judging will be done since I have this feeling that people forget about this contest because of the 5HOP3 really got all of our attention, or is it just me who feels like this
    Judging is planned to last another week and then we will have the results out after. We will keep you updated as we go along and we will work with a timeline that works best with everyone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017

Hey guys unfortunately judging will have to be delayed by about a week due to Blase being without Wifi and power after Hurricane Irma.

Thanks for your patience
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Of all the things to delay judging, that's definitely the most acceptable. Best wishes to Blase, I hope he has a quick recovery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Trust me, it's not that bad.
    Hopefully you guys can get it done when you get the chance. Hope it's all sorted out soon, Blase!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2017 edited

Thank you everyone for bearing with the judges for the long delay. Finally, we have the results for round 2. Like last round, if your name is in bold you are moving on to round 2. Please keep in mind the judging was much stricter for this round and only 5 could go through due to the amount of drop outs. For more information about your scores please do not hesitate to contact the judges (Blase Rhine, Metazoanhaddock, Paradox). Once again thanks to everyone who participated and round 3 will begin soon!

Congratulations to jpaufsc for winning this round!

In other news BlaseRhine will be stepping down from the judging team due to some personal issues.
    Just scraped through! How long until the next round is announced, and how long will it last?
    So a few quick announcements:

1: The parameters for the finals will be released sometime on Sunday, so be on the lookout for those.

2: Blase has stepped down from his role running the competition as well as his judging role, I will be running the finals, and Turbo will be replacing Blase as the trackwork judge.

If you have any questions please feel free to post them below or PM me.

-Meta
    Any idea how long the final round will last? I’m going away at the end of October, so I won’t get any chance to work on my ride from the 27th onwards.
    should be just 2 weeks
    OK, thanks. I assume the parameters will get released tonight?
    yes, tonight at midnight pst

Welcome to the final round of the 2017 NLT, Congratulations to all our finalists for making it this far!

For this final round, you will be creating two coasters to duel. However, there's a twist. One coaster must be a launched coaster by Intamin (any Intamin track style) while the other must be an Arrow (also any Arrow track style).

While this may seem somewhat straightforward, there are some parameters to keep in mind when building your rides:

Arrow:
    Max height must be between 200-300 feet
    Must have 5-10 inversions

Intamin:
    Must have one element 200-220 feet tall, while the rest of the ride must be below 150 feet
    Must have 3-5 inversions

Interaction:
    Must have some form of interaction (train-train, train-track) at least 6 times between the two coasters

The rest is up to you, there will be NO curveballs for this challenge

Please note that you will be judged on the following:

-How realistic your design is for each manufacturer.
    -Are your g forces in check?
    -Support work
    -Track work
    -Overall Impression (does your coaster look appropriate for the specified area?, Colors, etc. This is the extra credit points)
    -Operations
    -It must pass all clearance and block tests.

*You are allowed to use custom skyboxes and 3d scenery if you feel fit.

Your judges are

-Turbo, Trackwork judge
    -Paradox, originality/rules judge
    -Daniel (Metazoanhaddock), Support judge

The submissions must be sent to contests@nolimitscoaster2.com by Friday October 20th at midnight EST. If you do not send in your track by the appropriate time, you will be automatically disqualified and will no longer be in the running for the grand prize. When submitting please follow this submission guideline.

Username- Nl2 Tournament Round _(3)_ Submission

Track name
    Track description (Elements used as well as list of manufacturers used)

Track file upload

You should receive a confirmation email saying we have received your track file.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017 edited

Question about the height requirements: The Arrow ride I assume is the stated (max height - min height) from the ride properties, but the Intamin could be more complicated. Is the 150 ft from the minimum height or can they be within an arbitrary 150 ft vertical span. i.e. The ride goes from 0 to 210 ft, with everything but a single element between 25 and 175 ft (making it shorter than 150 ft). This would be applicable if you have some pit after an element to gain the extra "height".

Edit: Also, what would count as an inversion on a 4D coaster? Seems just track banking doesn't sufficiently describe it.
    Height will be determined by simulation stats, as it has in the previous rounds. I'll update my post tomorrow with a more detailed answer.

4D's are tricky, I'd say that an inversion would be any point in which the seats are facing downwards over 155 degrees from absolute vertical in either direction.
    A word to those still in this: a 4D helped me win it last year. Someone else please build a 4D...
    Currently working on my Arrow multilooper. No idea what I’ll do for the Intamin yet...
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2017

Hey guys! Due to complaints about the challenge we have decided to change it up a little. You can now make your dueling coasters any track styles but they must follow these rules:

- Must have at least 6 interactions.
    - One ride must be launched.
    - One ride must have 5-10 inversions and the other 3-5 inversions.
    - Minimum track length for each coaster is 3,200 ft (975.36 meters).

You can choose to follow either set of guidelines, but please specify what you are following in your submission. The contest will be extended by 1 week for those who wish to start over completely. Submissions will now be due on Friday October 27th!

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017 edited

Slid in with about an hour to spare again...
    First round was Hydro,
    then second round was Pyro,
    now Aero and Terra
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

I submitted my entry earlier this evening. Quark and Neutrino.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Thanks everyone for submitting! The judges will deliberate the winner of the tournament.
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017

^^ Wait I thought one coaster has to be an Arrow and the other one a launched Intamin - but that's two B&Ms right there(?)
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017 edited

Check Paradox's post above from Oct. 7. The rules were "relaxed" because apparently somebody couldn't handle the original challenge...lame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Excuse me, but just because the rules changed doesn't mean the challenge was any easier. Besides, have you tried designing dueling B&M flyers? Also, if you want to call anything lame, it should be the original challenge because THAT was lame.
    https://gyazo.com/63880ff87dfcf07cdeed19e65a68e558
    I think the rules were also changed as nobody really wanted to make a classic Arrow looper, as about 80 percent of us were going to do. Just sayin’.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

When I look at the comparison of the original and new rules, the manufacturer and the height constraints were removed. In their place, a length constraint was put in. But the way I see it, designing rides that are 200+ ft tall and less than 3200 ft long isn't likely (both of my rides ended up >3200 ft and I tried to make them as short as possible), so the added length requirement really wasn't an added requirement at all. So, removing 2 constraints makes the rules relaxed in my opinion.

Honestly, I didn't want to make an Arrow looper either, which is why I didn't. I think I understand why people didn't want to: they are hard to make original and aren't as "sexy" as more modern styles. But, the challenge didn't require one to make an Arrow looper. I thought the challenge was ripe to make a 4D so that's what I did. Why didn't others just do it too? Didn't want to? Too difficult? I don't know. I have always felt these contests aren't about creating the rides you want (after all, I would never build a dueling Arrow/Intamin of my own volition), but being forced to build things you normally wouldn't. I thought the original challenge was difficult but doable. Would it have been goood for round 1? No. But we were the top 5. We should have been up for such a challenge. I felt the new rules more appropriate for a round 1 challenge. Especially considering there were no curveballs. I think back to last year's round 3 and it was easier than this year's original rules, but harder than the new rules. And it had curveballs.

I guess I just didn't see the original rules as lame or boring, but as difficult. You could either go with the simple looper but have a harder time with the design, or the more complex 4D and have an easier time with the design. On the Intamin side, you had plenty of real world rides that fit parts of the requirements, but nothing that fit all of them. So you had do some interesting interpretation of Intamin's concepts to make it all work.

I'm still wondering how the judges are going to handle all of this. I wonder if I basically shot myself in the foot by sticking with the original rules. It will be interesting to see if considerations are made about relative difficulty of making rides of different companies within NL. Also to see what opinions are of dueling rides of different companies vs the same company. I think it's easier to be more realistic to companies when the dueling rides are of the same company. When you use 2 different companies, you're starting with an unrealistic concept so I think keeping it realistic is usually more difficult. But I always wonder about the realistic vs originality judging of these contests. I think it's pretty subjective if you do something a company hasn't done as to whether it's realistic or not. But if you stick to existing concepts, it's generally unoriginal. We'll see though.

• CommentAuthorJAKool

The biggest issue I think I had with it was designing two rides from completely different time periods to duel with each other realistically. Also, JetPulse, I believe the judges will be awarding you extra points for sticking with the original challenge. Either way I definitely think yours is the best here, regardless of realism or not.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

I saw working with the 2 time periods and being realistic as a part of the challenge of it. And I agree it's hard to stay realistic with it. After all, it's an unrealistic concept. We'll see how my score turns out. The overall concept was pretty bold with the Arrow station suspended ~100 ft above a valley (which is how I got the height without excessive track length). It made me use concepts that have never been used (like an upward half loop into the brake run) but I tried to stay true to Arrow form at the same time. It's going to up to that subjective balance of realism vs originality for both trackwork and supports.

It really does seem like the challenge was made easier by changing the rules, for what that's worth. Regardless of whether you think your specific choice of coasters was more/less difficult, the freedom of choice makes the contest easier, because you're ultimately choosing what you WANT to do, regardless of the inherent difficulty of that choice. Making 2 B&Ms, 2 GCIs, whatever duel is also inherently easier because there are real life references for those things to get ideas from, whereas there aren't any dueling Arrows/Intamins.

Additionally, I think it's unfair to even change the rules in the first place. I definitely think JetPulse should be given some extra points for actually doing what was originally asked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Yes JetPulse will be receiving extra points for sticking with the original contest rules. The rules were changed due to constant pressuring from entrants.