Not signed in (Sign In)

Site Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited

So about 2 weeks ago now, I started seriously building a backyard coaster. I didn't post it here because 1: I keep forgetting, and 2: It didn't really involve Nolimits... until about a week ago. I was having trouble getting the drop pullout right and just threw what I had in nl2 and measured what the curve should be and it worked great. Anyways, the plan is to have it finished by next summer and at the moment it looks like it'll be about 18ft tall. Instead of the traditional PVC pipe rail backyard coaster, I've opted to go for a full wooden track made of 4 layers of 1x4s with 2 1x6s on top (so bending the track is still possible and not too difficult). More details will come later as construction progresses, but as of today here's what I've got to show:

(sorry it's sideways gyazo messed up)

Staff edit: It's not sideway anymore (with the help of MrRC).
    • CommentAuthorjakecallan
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017

Good luck! I wish I had the space to try something like this, backyard coasters have always been extremely intriguing to me. is the plan for it to be full circuit with a lift? I really look forward to future updates.
    ^ Same, I'd love to build one but my garden's too small :(
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Do you own that forest?
    may i recommend a zero g stall next
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

^^^^ the plan is a simple shuttle coaster with 2 speed hills, a vertical spike, a transfer table and a 45 degree lift on the other side. It will be straight out and back with no turns since turns would require bending the wood in the wrong direction.

^^ what the ride is on as of now, yes. The last half might extend a little beyond our property but not into someone else's or anywhere that anyone would care (a surprising number of people in our neighborhood have small things that technically extend beyond their property) If anyone complains about it I'll take it down but I don't think anyone will.
    a... a TRANSFER TABLE????
    • CommentAuthorEmonadeo

^^ RMC has proven that it is possible to build crazy inversions just by stacking layers of wood like intim305 did to achieve functional rails. :P

Also how far down do the footers go? They look like a lot of dig-work
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2017 edited

The footers look like the concrete blocks used to build decks when you're not allowed to or don't want to build a fully permanent structure. They're actually just sitting on the ground I think, not poured into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017

^yes they're just sitting on the ground. I thought that would cause problems but so far there's been some pretty heavy rain here and they haven't budged

^^ RMC is also bending the track that much over longer distances of rail, and using more sophisticated methods of soaking the wood than just leaving them in a swimming pool overnight...

^^^ yea i know right????? how weird is that??
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Just saying, I love that you're actually making this happen.

I tried in middle school and failed miserably
    when you getting RMC to redo it? :P

i love this soo much always wanted to build one! keep us updated!
    That will probably be the World's first backyard coaster with a transfer table!
    Very keen to see how you do It; sounds very ambitious!
    • CommentAuthorBullero

Awesome project! I think everyone of us dreamed about building a coaster in the backyard, and you are actually doing it. Keep us posted!
    is no one asking the important questions. What is its name?
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Did you do the math or were you like "Ah, it'll probably work"?
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

Posted By: DelayDid you do the math or were you like "Ah, it'll probably work"?

Lovely.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^No, that's a serious question, I really want to know that.
    I nominate Floppy as a name.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

I nominate : "Woodencoaster 1"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I nominate Intenso... Just make sure there's a downhill launch.
    Mr flogbies pinapple garden train of derp please. Bonus points for pinapple themeing
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017 edited

I have to agree with Code on this one....
    I nominate "The Backyardigan"!
    I'm getting more of a Corndog Express vibe than Floppy imho..
    • CommentAuthorDelay

How about Big Dumpy Dump Dump?
    bob espunja
    I'm with Element here. mr flogbies pinapple garden train of derp sounds epic.
    I vote Floppy
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Little Wheezer
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Lets Get Wasted And Blazed On Listerine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

Posted By: DelayDid you do the math or were you like "Ah, it'll probably work"?

at first it was more of an "Ah, it'll probably work" type thing, but i quickly found out that that didn't make very good curves. That's where it was thrown into NL2... so I wouldn't call it "math" but its not nothing either, I'm just using NL2 to wing it correctly rather than doing all the calculations

and yea the name will be some sort of meme, I might put up a strawpoll or something later (I'm leaning towards Intenso tbh)
    although a friend of mine won an auction for the "iron warriors" sign when Iron Ratter became that for it's opening weekend this year after a lost bet, and he might be bringing it up here at some point, so it might just have to be that
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017

No, Mr. Flogby's Pineapple Garden Train of Derp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017

YES
    ^^Please!!!!
    take the iron warriors sign and spray paint mr flogby's pineapple garden train of derp over it
    ^
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017

^^
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017

Name it "Got My Shirt Off The Club Too Packed"
    Posted By: CoasterLegiontake the iron warriors sign and spray paint mr flogby's pineapple garden train of derp over it

Would it even fit on? I don't think so!
    you clearly dont know how big the sign was
    ^ No, i do not.