Not signed in (Sign In)

Site Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited

Introduction
    7 years ago the Efteling announced their new ride for the 60th birthday of the park, Hartenhof. The ride would be the newest darkride in the park, using a robocoaster like system with seats for 20 passengers at a time. The total cost would be 42 million euro, more than twice the cost of the most expensive attraction at the point. One problem however, it was never build. The ridesystem wasn't developed enough and due to the bad experience the park had with both Droomvlucht and De Vliegende Hollander they never build it. This year however Symbolica opened, based on the same theme as Hartenhof buth with an entirely different ridesystem. The ride feels a bit like Mystic manor and uses the same ride system. It however wasn't exactly what I was hoping. So, back to the drawingboard and lets build something new!

Symbolica
    My aim for this project is to combine Symbolica and Hartenhof into one ride, using the ridesystem I was planning on using for harry potter. However, unlike harry potter this ride will not have one but three different routes. You share the scenes, but the experience is different for every car! Unlike Symbolica the cars are going to split a few more times than 2. The current ride is about 650m per track and is currently being tested with a total of 27 cars. Of course there will be moments where the car will interact with the other cars and they will share some special effects. The ride will not feature digital screens, I'm going old style! The lay-out is done and the story is written. Unlike Harry Potter I sterted with writing the story instead of jumping in head first. We'll see how that goes.

So, whats done so far?
    The lay-out is finished and the scenes are all mapped out. Currently I am working on the rotation and speed of the cars, adding a few droptracks/lifts/other funny stuff and finishing some scenes. The station build is almost done, so thats what I want to show together with the outside. I still work in sketchup, so there is more work done than what I can show. I do plan on releasing the ride on steam and in video. For the car I've used the bases of my Potter ride (seats and lapbars) and themed it like the vehicle in the Efteling.

Short term plans
    For the shot term the ride system will have to be finished and I want to finish the first quarter of the darkride theming wise. Lets see if I can make it.

I really hope you guys like it! So what do you think?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017

A+ for formatting

Looks awesome so far! Can't tell from the pics, but if that water isn't currently planned to have some water nearby, DEFINITELY put some water nearby. Also, nice work on your forced perspective on the exterior. As for the inside, I'd definitely try to make sure to add some detail to your walls, whether it be texture, paintings, or other 3D theming elements.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

It looks great so far Zingo! Can't wait to see how this progresses. Now i'm curious: are you designing this on the fly or did you draw a master plan of some sort before starting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Replies

@TheBeatles: Thanks, got hte idea from a certain project of yours ;-). I'm not sure about the outside yet. The rocks in front of the right side of the building are there because the path goes down there. One of the first idea's for the entrance was to have the entrance of the queue at the left side. You would cross the bridge into the tower and come back out again behind it. The area behind the bridge would be the queue. The right side would be the exit. for some reason however I also wanted to have a queue at the right side of the building. Since the exit had to cross that path I had to make either a bridge or a dip. I chose the later. So the whole thing is only there because I couldn't make up my mind. The trench isn't needed anymore since the exit is now at the left side. The entrance is pretty clear now haha. But some water will probably help and I didn't really think about using it, so i'll give it a try.

@Bullero: Thanks! there is a masterplan for this ride. What I did in this case was think about the story and the scenes I want to use. I then draw the track and design the floorsize in sketchup. I've got a pretty good idea where every scene needs to go, just not the size of the scene. Depending on the size and flow I then change the scenes quite a bit, to either fit the story or the ride flow. This process usually keeps repeating itself during the entire time I work on a project. At the same time I also start working finishing things. So, at this point I usually have different scenes in various states of progress. On Symbolica for example the station is (except for props) finished, the corridor and scene that comes after is half finished, the following scene is drawn out fairly roughly and the next scene is just a basic lay-out of walls. So the project kinda grows during the time I work on in, finishing scene after scene. That also means that as long as I didn't start the rough version of the scene (think about pillars, extra walls, fences etc) the whole scene can change even though the first half might be finished entirely.

The reason I do this is because I want to be able to change the scenes depending on what happens in the more finished scenes. The main problem with this way of working is that the middle and end scenes have a lot of different versions. On Symbolica for example the station was build from start to finish during the first go. The second scene however has been changed entirely three times already. In some way it's very much like a normal design process, altough there is a rough idea where I want to go I also change a lot during the process of building. It works for me, not just because of the creative freedom it offers, but also because I can focus on different area's. Since I like to work on impulse (aka, I want to work on something I have inspiration about on that exact moment) it gives me the freedom to do that.

However, I also limit myself a bit. On symbolica for example the building is not allowed to grow bigger than it is at the moment. This means I have to be a bit creative with the space. That is also one of the reasons the ride has 4 levels at the moment (hench the elevators, droptracks and coasterparts). I'll try to show a bit more about that in the next update.

Small update
    I received some very good textures from Mennoo_ yesterday which he uses on his Aquanura recreation and tried them out on the station. I couldn't get the right stucco walls, they were not Efteling enough for me and Mennoo_ supplied me with the perfect walls. The entire atmosphere is different, much more dark, but it works so well in the sim. The screen is from the editor, so the lightning isn't perfect. But you'll get the idea:

As always, I'd love yo hear your opinions.
    • CommentAuthorBullero

Thanks for the detailed insight! I'm interested in the process behind the projects that people do, and now I see we share a similar planning method. In my opinion, it helps a lot to do some planning beforehand. It makes things much easier if you want to work on several sections of the ride at the same time. Of course it is normal to iterate and change the original planning as the project progresses.

Great job on the new textures: it looks much nicer this way
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

What happened to Project Potter? This looks very nice as well!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2017

^ I made the mistake of not thinking about a proper story on before I started designing the ride. Due to that the ride is a mess at the moment. I might pick it up again at a later date, probably re-using some of the scenes I've already made. Those errors however help me with Symbolica, so lets hope for the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2017

Small update

A small update before I go to the zoo (yeeh). I've spent yesterday working on the two scenes directly behind the station and started trying some bumbmapping on the scenes. So far, I think 1/3 of the darkride is done. The ending changed, again, but I will show that in the next update where I want to spent some time explaining the methology behind building the ride. I've also tried the first lightning effects, they are going to be great!

The scene I'm showing is as good as the same as on the real ride, but I took the liberty to make changes to fit my story better. Keep in mind that there are no small objects yet (botles, more books, chests etc). Those will be added in a later stage. I'm also missing an animatronic, working on that also haha. The second screen is to give a sense of the scale of the scenes and where it is placed.

• CommentAuthorHarmL98
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2017

Stunning work! Good textures and atmosphere! Looking forward to see more!
    Looking good! However, when are you going to release your other ride?
    Its almost november and we still haven't seen the full Flying Dutchman.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2017

^^ Thanks! I hope I can show you guys more tonight, I've started working on the first coaster part!

^ Not sure. I was planning on using this time to finish it off. The darkride is as good as done except for a few new effects I want to try. Sorry for the long wait, but I promise it will be worth it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017

Small update

Since I can't really update yet (it's just not done enough yet) I wanted to show a small screen of the work in progress of the first coaster part, the Library. It's far from done, the walls are in and most textures are there, but it lacks so many details. Still, it gives a good idea of the direction I am taking it.

<blockquote><cite>Posted By: Zingo</cite>^^ Thanks! I hope I can show you guys more tonight, I've started working on the first coaster part!

^ Not sure. I was planning on using this time to finish it off. The darkride is as good as done except for a few new effects I want to try. Sorry for the long wait, but I promise it will be worth it!</blockquote>

It better be! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2017

Update

So, I promissed a bigger update on the ride. I started desiging the first coaster part this week. Altough its not a very long one it still it there (there is a longer coaster part later on in the ride). The idea is that after your visit to the observatorium from an earlier update you enter the library. Since this is the first time the trains meet up again after being seperated you all take different routes into the library and also follow different paths in it. The main idea is that this is also the first part were the trains will truly interact instead of acting like seperate rides within a bigger building.

My main goal was to make the whole experience in two parts. A part where all the tracks would cross eachother and a part were they followed a more straight way, creating the opportunityto really look at eachother without moving to much. The crossing was done during the 180 turn the tracks have to make from the previous scene. Since I didn't want the tracks to actually cross everything had to be tunneltested, which also caused me to make the choice to add some steeper drops. THe current library end at a statue which is going to be used to connect the library and a very cool scene where you look into the distance. I can't tell to much about that yet.

I've also started testing with the lightning in this scene. For now I am using yellow and red as main lightning colors since I wanted a darker library but also wanted to convey the fact that it is not during the middle of the day outside. Many things will change in the next update in that regard.

Next up

Next I need to work on the scene which is right below this one. It's going to be an amazing scene where movement is going to be very important. I cannot show you guys the movement yet, but It's going to be awesome. I am also working on finishing the trains so I can do some testing with the motions. So far the motions didn't have to influence the design to much, but since the ride is going to go a lot faster from this point the vehicle needs to be there. Next update next week!
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2017

Can't wait to see this thing in action!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2017

Small update

One last shot before I leave for London!

• CommentAuthorMrRC

Hi JohanR, looks amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I really love the level of detail with this project, it's outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017

I really love the way you planned the whole project! Plus, while the 3D models are not perfect or ├╝ber detailed, they are really conveying a magical feel, and that's what's the most important (see Terra).

One concern I have is the coater track. Will you leave it bare and black? I don't really know if you could/should try to blend it more with the scenes or not.
    Also, please find a name on your own! Symbolica is already the name of the real one.It just irks me when people make rides inspired by real ones, took the same name and then feel obligated to mention "(not a recreation)".
    Either a new name or a twist on Symbolica (Symbolica: The Black Hole), but yeah, Symbolica alone is both confusing and degrading to the creative work you're doing there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2017

Replies

@MrRC: Thanks!

@ Mrcrolly:Thanks, I'll try to keep it up, even with to little time left haha

@KingRCT3: The detail never was something I wanted to much of since its huge and I only have a week or so left to finish building it. Not sure if I can make it, but an onride should be do-able. The track will stay black with black supports. At this moment I simply have no time to make anything else of it. Same goes for the track in the darkride sections. I need to make cuts somewhere to save time. The name....yeah, I can see what you mean, i'll have to think about it!

Update

So, I kinda took a lot longer to finish this part, but it's very much done, so lets keep going and hoping I can finish this in time! The part I am going to show is the bottom level of the ride and the biggest coaster part. This is a photo of a scene where two cars kind dual in the middle of the treasureroom filled with butterflies. I was looking to add some color, so I am curious what you guys think!

• CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2017

Hi JohanR , looks awesome again. Is it an idea to remove the track (set to invisible) and let the coaches float ? so the riders don't see where they going ?
    I really dont like how the trains look, they look very roblox-esque in that photo. other than that, the actual themed area looks pretty good
    ^^^ Just, Wow! The effects and details looks very beautifall in this ride!
    ^^^^ The restraints on the cars don't look like they close tight enough (they are too far down the seats).
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2017

Replies

@MrRC: Thanks! At this moment I chose to not make them invisible, I rather like having some track. Altough, if I had more time I'd spent it on integrating it a bit more.
    @Coasterguy246: I agree, I'm not a big fan either. Again time is against me, so no time to re-design at this moment
    @NolimitsProjects: Thanks! I can't wait to show it all
    @Construction2018fan: Yeah, they are in a bit of a resting mood. Might change that for the final design if I have time left.

Update

So, I am working extremely hard to get this done. I've almost finished every indoor scene so I can do the car movements and practical effects. Might make it, might not make it. We'll see. There is one picture I'd love to share though, this is the pre-show room and also is part of the ride itself!

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2017

The moving stairs in the preshow is probably my favorite part of the real Symbolica.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2017

^ Haha, yeah I was taking by surprise the first time. It's always fun to see and hear all the reactions of those who visit for the first time.

On a side note, I was planning on using this for roundup 200, but I cannot get all the effects done on time so I'm going to skip this roundup in favor of the next ;-). That should give me enough time to get it on the level I want it to be on. Also gives time to finish that other project some people have been asking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Update

So, since I did not even get close to getting this done before roundup 200 I thought it was a good reason to redesign some of the coaster parts of the ride I wasn't happy with. The coaster part of the previous update will be replaced for that reason. Also since I now have the time to spent some propper time on this I also want to show how this ride is structured.

One of my main critiques of the real ride is that it lacks a coherent story during the ride. The main idea is that you visit the palace, Pardoes takes you on a different route and then you explore the palace where various magical things happen. Between all those things there is no real sense of reason as to why you go where you go. The rides starts in the basement, then goes to the wizards chamber (which I think should be in a tower or somewhere higher.) Then you visit a balcony, a botanicum, some weird rooms, some storage, a very small kitchen and the trone room. Between that, there is no element that connects everything. So my main goal was to get rid of those two critiques I have for the ride. I've tried to solve it in different ways. To me and important part of the feeling of place is the lay-out of the ride. For that reason you start off in the cellar which than leads to the storage area. From there you are transported up a few stories right into the wizards room. The idea is that you really go up in the palace. From there you go down into a library where I have broken up most of the decent into a few pieces to make it feel like you do not go down as far as you came up. The balcony scene is at the end of this library.

From there you get another drop down into the main level of the palace and it will have some fake outdoor parts, the botanicum and also the entrance. One of the other idea's I had to give the ride this sense of placement is by having the riders revisit the pre-show room, but instead of opening the stairs the ride goes the route the visiters should have taken from the start, right into the throneroom. This new 'order' of scenes should add a whole new layer of realism to the ride, leaving the rider to use his or hers imagination for other things. I am planning on doing the same with a theme across the different scenes (that why the butterflies are there for example) but I am not to happy about the concept at this moment.

So, to give you guys an idea behind the structure of the ride I thought it would be nice to show some of the building and how the ride is placed. As you can see, the area is quite small considering how much happens.

I hope you guys like what I did, if anyone has idea's how to enhance it all I'm all ears!