Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2016

I honestly might use that idea some day (if you don't mind). That's like... One of the coolest things I've ever seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

^, ^^: haha thanks, and of course I don't mind! Just lemme release the coaster that it's currently in first ;D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Holy mother of headchopper!

Posted By: JAKoolAnd T-Rex track itself will cause even less work than yours. Again, it looks cool, but there's no point for it at all.

Sure, as I said, I made that solely because it looks cool, so I agree with you.
    Yet I do think at one point coasters should also consider design, because that's one of their purpose
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

But I would think most parks would choose functionality for a cheaper price than more expensive designer track.

And that stall looks teriffying. I don't think I'd ever be able to put my hands up.
    That looks really cool bassdirt (but also a lawsuit waiting to happen).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016

I re-imagined the T-REX, so might as well do the Raptor track. Keeping the triangular shape (without holes the time around):

Sizes are without a doubt screwed up. But the basic idea is:
    - Triangular shape, less metal sheets.
    - Less wheels as well, as the side wheels also act as up-stop wheels.

Would it be able to have crazy airtime just like a RMC is expected to?
    I think so (but I'm not an engineer, just a quick memo). Many single car inverts such as the Caripro or the former Vertigo use slanted wheels as runner wheels.
    Some ancient Schwarzkopf shiz here! Interesting design.
    Looks like strong airtime will result in the force at a large angle to the axle of the "upstops" which I don't think would work great after a while. Normal upstops and running wheels have forces that are perpendicular to the axle which is fine. No engineering math done but just a thought based on knowing some things lol. I could be wrong.

Maybe a flat box on top with the triangle being support? Similar to topper track where wheels hug the box and the wood supports the box. Just a thought. That way all your forces will be perpendicular to your axles and the wheels won't want to rotate the wrong way with airtime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2016 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3I re-imagined the T-REX, so might as well do the Raptor track. Keeping the triangular shape (without holes the time around):

/picture/

Would it be able to have crazy airtime just like a RMC is expected to?
    I think so (but I'm not an engineer, just a quick memo). Many single car inverts such as the Caripro or the former Vertigo useslanted wheels as runner wheels.

I love that, but I would mainly worry about sliding friction up and down, you feel me? The wheels would be under crazy structural stress
    Wait, I'm repeating that post from above, aren't I :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

yeah, I feel if that lip under the top bit of track would be better placement for the upstop wheels, otherwise it'd be a pretty neat and (potentially) solid design (pun intented).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^^ & ^^ & ^ : Well, that is basically what the track I shown earlier is. ;p
    I wanted to see if we could have an even simpler design, not just scale it down like the real Raptor track is to the T-REX. I feel you about the underside wheel, and that's a huge gamble on my part. My arguments for it would be the real-life examples, such as Vertigo/small inverts or some Schwarzkopf and Soquet designs.
    I think the difference in those is the forces aren't crazy. I don't know about the Schwarzkophs (if they're upstop/guide wheels then maybe not a big deal given Schwarzkoph didn't do a ton of crazy airtime like RMC or Intamin) but Vertigo has to have max like 1.1G on those wheels haha, it was so drawn out. I guess 1.1G downwards with wheels on top is the same as 1.1G upwards with the wheels on the bottom though...hmm.

Anyways in no way am I (and anyone else I've seen) saying don't try it...if nobody tried things we wouldn't have many particularly exciting coasters. I'm just saying that is a potential cause for concern, but like any new product in engineering it'd have to go through calculations and potentially testing anyways.

On another positive note, even if the original idea isn't the best, a good but not completely functional idea can drive ones that do work all the time. As such I'm all for trying things like this :)
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2016 edited

I have to agree with Zergei about the structural stress, a negative vertical force will cause a force horizontal the track that (depending on the angle) can be much stronger than the vertical force itself. Besides that having the wheels running on a plate like your side-friction/upstop wheels instead of a pipe like usually isn't a good idea as well: plates have a very low resistance against bending when loaded with a force in this direction thus meaning you would have to use very thick sheets of steel or add some reinforcement inside the rails.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2016

I made a wild bobsled coaster with NO suspended train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYCeIPCjng&feature=youtu.be
    Top-Zero Element

Click image for gif.

Free to use . It feels a little to much for my coaster and I just felt like sharing this would be nice
    And because I've never posted in this thread before
    ^ Suggestion to keep that roll going? (Probably would require more of a taller element.)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016

^^ JL, a while back i attempted to make something very similar. A top hat with a barrel roll across the top. I really haven't done a great deal with it, and it doesn't look as smooth as yours (i think it's a bit more square across the top, haven't looked at it for a while, hahaha)
    But that looks good.
    I had an idea for an El Loco shuttle last night, here's the result. What do you guys think? (Trains courtesy of Coaster-Lab)

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016

Oooh. I like. Fun idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016 edited

May I ask where those trains came from?

This looks amazing by the way!

EDIT: You have mentioned where the trains came from in your original post, shame on me for only paying attention to the pictures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt

^^^ omg it looks like the knex coaster! I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Looks very fun, but capacity would be horrible... Estimating a ride time + load/unload of 90 seconds (and I think it would be higher) you would get a capacity of 320 pph. Guess you could always use a double station anyway. Also, you should use tritube track, seeing that S&S now uses it on the El Locos.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Wait... what? Do they?
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

On the launched one they do... Guess they'll use it on the new ones they'll build on the future too
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I don't know why they would. There's a difference between an intense wild mouse with small cars than a launched coaster with very intense forces and a large, heavy car. I don't think we'll be seeing any standard El Locos with the tri tube track.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

The trains aren't very different (to those found in Green Lantern), they only have one more row, and I could see them popping in new models too. Obviously they wouldn't need the tritube everywhere, but it could help them save some supports. And anyway, Joseph's ride feels more like the launched version, so I would use it.
    I filmed a real quick POV for that El Loco shuttle, check it out!

El Loco Shuttle Concept:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFQvqDzCggU
    honestly i think it should:

A. use the car used on Gale Force

B. have a multi launch using lsm's rather than the lift
    The El Loco Shuttle isn't work fixing, it deserves to be a valley-prone capacity nightmare, haha. So instead, here's something else.

•  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016

It does look very Mack'ish, so great job!

B&M Diving Wing Coaster concept (With basic themeing ideas using supports)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJL NoLimits
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016 edited

Dive coasters do not go beyond 90°.
    Correct me if im wrong

^Also I like your idea!
    ^Who cares? It's pretty obvious he's going for something a bit different here.
    ^^ There are no winged-dive coasters either. Yet.
    I'm basically mixing Dive, Wing, and Gerstlauer coasters. Though I didn't want a Vertical lift, but I went pretty steep. It has to be over 50 for the lift* But thanks JL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016

Yesterday I tried out a new kind of top hat. It's something between Blue Fire's top hat and EGF's first drop with 0 g at the top which then slowly transitions into -0.1 g on the downwards path which should provide some kind of out-of-control feeling while plummeting to the ground.

This is how it looks:

And this is how it rides:
    Clicky
    ^Interesting. Really like it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016

I think it would look better with a less quick transition.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016

Okay so this is an idea I've had for a while now but I only made it today. It's basically a concept for a Gerst Infinity like the Smiler (but of course it could work on the launched infinities too!) Notice there's no actual mechanics or 3d in these pics but you should get the idea.

First of all, the train drops a bit, and it gets some speed and goes into this 45 degree banked straight, and stops.

https://gyazo.com/8b3bb4404c01a46ad9bcec2412d2bc53

https://gyazo.com/0092c857c6624b3065cb90ffef8e625b

https://gyazo.com/89b806c373c8df9a9797fb83103940c0

Then, all these track pieces fit into a perfect circle, so the track rotates around this circle which would be a pretty weird feeling but oh well. You end up upside down, like so.

https://gyazo.com/608c10906cbc6fde1d7c1388af1cc234

https://gyazo.com/1277e87f871899ae4689d5d9447acb84

I'm not sure how fast the track would rotate (that'd be up to the manufacturer I guess) but it ends up on the other side angled 45 degrees the opposite direction. The train is then released to whatever lies afterwards.

https://gyazo.com/13eb7a30162ea09d4e59403f05f05ad4

https://gyazo.com/71e3fe72151c2ff4b173f5d9d5d19bb4

Ok it's basically a "washing machine" element like everybody thought was going to be on The Smiler but rather than using the single track I thought it could use two which were angled so the train could get some speed coming out of it rather than being, say, launched.
    I'm not really sure how practical this would be but I just thought it was kind of cool. Idk, I expect someone will tell me how stupid this is lol.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited

How did you do the rotating track? Or is it just the track unfrozen and moved manually then refrozen twice for the effect?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2016 edited

Unfrozen and manually moved, I'd imagine
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016

Ohh, neat idea. I can see the easiest way to do this is by having a powered piece of track that the legit track would be placed on, if that makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2016 edited

So I've added a few elements to the slight-airtime-sideways-drop-thingy you can see above. And this is what happened (bring all children and women to safety first and open your eyes only once you're ready for this, I'm so sorry for using the beautiful B&M tracks for such an ugly coaster):

The original elements with a slightly longer transition (thanks nolimiters)

Not sure what I should call this, it provides beautiful perfect -1 g

Negative-G-Immelmann

Heavily outwards-banked turn (take that, RMC!)

Lateral-filled drop after the MCBR

The ugliest twisted airtime hill in the world providing -0.7 g and lats throughout the element (in the background there's a slightly-hangtime-cork-roll)

Almost there! Finally, this elements feints another roll, but suddenly twists the other way round pulling -1 g

Overview

Don't mind the environment. Do you think this monstrosity is worth supporting?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2016

Yes!!!
    Make this an RMC TREX coaster right now, that is messed up in so many excellent ways.
    ^thaaaatttttttt. It's so effed up to be anything else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2016

This is amazing.

Me likey.
    OMG you made that "Heavily outwards-banked turn" better than mine... AND PLEASE SUPPORT THAT I WANT TO RIDE IT :D