Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

"Hmmm! Dat quite a massive improve'lence, dah-lin'!
    Jes' a few moments ago you was well on yo' way to
    bein' severely ugly! Now, thoo de magik o' stagekraff,
    de blubulence of yo' blobulence done reciprocated
    to a respectumal reclusium! Yow! SCIENCE!"...
    Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out fvd's for a while and i cant get the hang of them. Could anyone give me any details, or a short basic tutorial on how they work would be appreciated.

thank you,
    RWN
    • CommentAuthorCCJared
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2011

Your better off using Newton 2 than FVD's.

http://nolimits-exchange.com/news/20/newton2
    i have used newton for most of my no limits life, but i just dont like it as much as i think i would like fvd's. thanks anyway though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4

Newton = Graphical FVD's
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrandonR

Posted By: RideWarriorNationi have used newton for most of my no limits life, but i just dont like it as much as i think i would like fvd's. thanks anyway though.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't know much about FVD, then why do you think you'll like it more than Newton?
    When did Jim from the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn join the forums?
    Posted By: BrandonRThat makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't know much about FVD, then why do you think you'll like it more than Newton?

i think i will like the setup of them more then i like newtons setup
    • CommentAuthorwardaide
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011

Okay, now I would honestly have to say you are crazy, and I really don't mean that offensively. FVD's....assuming you are referring to the Elementary formulas written by Redunzelizer.....are almost completely a waste of time compared to Newton. The way it is setup is rather ridiculous in the sense that you can only have up to 18 time zones at a time.....there is no option to add lateral forces at all.....to get any sort of accuracy in the calculations it typically takes any from 5 seconds to a minute at times to calculate the track and allow you to see it......you always have to go through and use AHG with the output element......and the list goes on and on. Whereas with Newton you have unlimited number of time zones, granted the more you have the slower Newton runs at times, but it never it never gets anywhere near as slow as Elementary using FVD's. Newton allows you to manipulate the lateral forces on a ride which means you can achieve so many more elements that are not remotely possible with FVD's. The lowest sample rate in Newton is 100 Hz, or 100 calculations per second, which is a constant rate throughout the track.....with FVD's the highest number of divisions you can have is 2048 or in other words you can only design 20.48 seconds of track at a time to be able to match the MINIMUM precision of Newton. Newton gives instant visual feedback on any changes you make, allowing you to make a change of a hundredth of a second or less and not have to wait another 40 seconds or so to see the result. And to finalize the things I listed before, Newton heartlines the track for you when you save the elements, meaning all you have to do is reinsert the element into NLEditor and be done with it, instead of having to go through the whole process of messing with AHG to do that for you. So yeah, I think with that if you still believe honestly that the use of FVD's instead of Newton is the better choice then there's not much we can do for you. I mean I'm sure some of us would be able to help you out but, I know that since Newton2 came out I haven't even touched FVD's once except for trying to decipher how Red got them to work (which by the way Red, if your reading this, your work is really beyond me and I usually consider myself to catch on quick, so yeah). But anyway RideWarriorNation, If you really want to understand how FVD's work and how to utilize them, they operate on the exact same principles that Newton runs on, so if you can't get how Newton works your definitely gonna have a rough time with FVD's, so good luck to you.
    Posted By: wardaideThe lowest sample rate in Newton is 100 Hz, or 100 calculations per second, which is a constant rate throughout the track.....with FVD's the highest number of divisions you can have is 2048 or in other words you can only design 20.48 seconds of track at a time to be able to match the MINIMUM precision of Newton.

Okay, I've been wondering this. What happens if you tweak the Sample Rate in Newton? From what I remember, it somehow skewed my track, but I could be wrong (I don't think I've touched it). Can someone enlighten me here? Does increasing the Sample Rate make better rides [in theory]?
    I almost always like to use 10,000 Hz... I've found the smoothest outcome of most track styles comes from it.
    • CommentAuthorwardaide
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011

The sample rate is simply how many calculations the program performs for every second of track. So in other words using the default setting of 1,00 Hz(cycles per second) would produce 1,000 points that the lines of the track would follow for every second that exists in a time zone. When you enter your time zones and transitions and stuff, what you are actually doing is defining the second derivative, or acceleration, of the position of the train (the middle car to be more precise). The program then uses the initial values gained from the position at the beginning of the segment, the direction in which it is traveling and how fast it is traveling to approximate the position of the track to produce the desired results. The two methods you can use for this are Euler and Quaternion. Both of these are methods used to plot graphs of functions based on a given derivative of that function and the use of initial values. Because the acceleration that you define is the second derivative of the position, this process has to be executed twice to find the position function that then becomes the track.

So in simple terms the higher the sample rate the more precise the estimation that is achieved. So unless you can have a sample rate of infinity, your output will never be perfect even if you were to have the proper physics engine represented. Plus the higher the sample rate the more processor power is used by the program and thus the higher chances of the program crashing on you as you make adjustments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited

Posted By: wardaide Plus the higher the sample rate the more processor power is used by the program and thus the higher chances of the program crashing on you as you make adjustments.

Okay, so basically that's why it's adjustable. I figured out what it was generally for, but I didn't know why the default wasn't the highest one. I guess this makes sense now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited

I have three questions about newton2, I usually build my coasters by hand so I guess I'm old school lol. But yes I've been testing the water with newton and three things I've been wondering...

1. Curves. What is the difference between euler and quanternion? and also, are any of the transition curves (agnesi, etc.) better than the others for certain purposes? like do certain companies tend to use quartic while others use agnesi, or is quartic really good for making camelbacks etc.

2. Roll. If you do an element that results in 360 degrees of roll (like a zero g roll), how do you get your roll back to zero without doing another similar inversion?

3. A more specific question...how to make a top hat without sending roll and g/s all over the place?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomman4
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011

'Clicky

Should answer all your questions, just look at all his newton tutorial videos

Note this is the guy that made the programs YT channel
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011

ok thanks!
    ok, so i have most of the fvd stuff down. but one thing i would like to know is the "g force tricks" part, where it says you can make a constant slope with the formula COS[SloLc]/COS[B], it could be useful for making helix's. but what i need to know is what the SloLc is(i know it means Slope Local) but i need to know what the values is.
    • CommentAuthorwardaide
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011

SloLc is the slope of the helix that you want the helix to remain constant at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013

If have got one question
    i downloaded FVD and do not know how to move
    can someone help me ? :)
    i like that program and would try to build a good coaster
    HLcoasters
    •  
      CommentAuthorL Bosch
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013

You are in the wrong thread (FVD is not FVD++), but anyway, here's my advice:

Moving forwards/backwards by pressing W or S, paning to the side is done by pressing A or D.